[Samba] Re: still ACL bug in 3.0.14a

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Apr 21 03:19:56 GMT 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 10:47:11AM -0500, Tom Schaefer wrote:

> As for the read only attribute on a file, I think if the user & group
> combination on who's behalf Samba is acting would have the ability to
> write to the file where they sitting at a UNIX shell then the read only
> flag should not be set and vice versa.

But that's the problem - that would mean reading the entire POSIX
ACL list and doing the match for every single file in a directory
listing. That's just too slow.

Currently we allow the DOS attributes to be stored in an EA, and
will read that (which is also an extra metadata access per file
on a directory listing) but we don't do any more than that.

> By the way, this whole "issue" is not a new one.  I set up this same
> scenario last night on an old Linux Mandrake 8 box running Samba 2.2.7a
> and the behavior was exactly the same.

Precisely. This is something that isn't new and has been in Samba
a long time. I don't think it's a critical bug that needs urgent
code changes - unlike the ACL issues which were bugs in new
functionality.

Jeremy