[Samba] File / Record Locking In Samba

James.Campbell at idelta.co.uk James.Campbell at idelta.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 21:35:41 GMT 2005

I would like to use  Linux as a  file and print server for a number of
Windows workstations.

One use of this is server will be to provide a central repository for an
accounting package.

I have spoken to the software supplier for the accounting software  and
whilst they do not know of any issues with this configuration,  they have
advised they are unsure how Samba manages file/record locking, and the
potential impact on their application

To obtain the software supplier's support of this configuration I would
like to go back to them with some detail on which CIFS/SMB standard  Samba
 adheres to for these functions.

Can anyone advise if  such a standard exists for  windows file and record
locking, if so which version does Samba Ver 3. adhere to

Cheers

James