[Samba] netbios name resolution

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Apr 18 12:53:24 GMT 2005

>I have a setting of log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log, and there are log
>files with netbios names and ip addresses too. (nbname.log, x.x.x.x.log).
>
>Any ideas would be appreciated...

This is the behavior by design (I believe) but at least it is
understandable once you know what is going on.  When a client connects,
the only thing you know about it is its IP address.  Even if the very
first thing it does is to query the network for naming related
information, or to be queried by the server for its name there is still
this name-less connection.  You should notice that most of these files
are 0 length.

I know there was a better explanation of what is happening, but it came
down to  the fact that it was normal.

--
Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.