Fwd: Re: [Samba] Samba Install/SWAT Access

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Mon Apr 18 00:52:50 GMT 2005

Paul, Deryck, et al.,

Thanks for all of your help (OP isn't savvy--what was your first clue?
<g>).  After sufficient prodding, I went and looked and found the following
URL, at our very own samba.org, for rpms for Samba v 3.0.14a:

         <http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/Fedora/RPMS/i386/core/3/>http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/Fedora/RPMS/i386/core/3/

Looks like I'll be uninstalling the source build and installing these
rpms....  I'm also going to go to school on Paul's Option 2 below.

Eric Hines

>From: Paul Gienger <pgienger at ae-solutions.com>
>
>Subject: Re: [Samba] Samba Install/SWAT Access
>
>Deryck Hodge wrote:
>
>>Eric Hines wrote:
>>

>>>Paul,
>>>
>>>Thanks for your response.  I got the version from samba.org as a tar.gz
>>>file, which turned out to be source code.  I did install from source.
>>>Where can I get an rpm package for this version?  Alternatively (for my
>>>longer term benefit), how do I a) get FC3 to look at/use the upgrade
>>>version in the samba team's directory structure, or b) install the
>>>upgrade version into FC3's directory structure?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Eric Hines
>>>

>>Eric,
>>
>>You can specify a different directory structure when using configure.  Run
>>"./configure --help" to see the options.
>>Running "./configure --help | grep dir" produced the following:
>>

>While this is all fine and good, it still doesn't fix the problem I was
>addressing, that being source code installs on a RPM based system can
>cause havoc if you aren't adept at keeping things straight.  Not to be
>demeaning to Eric, but the OP here isn't savvy (yet ;) ) on where things
>should be to fix the system when things break, hence the post here.
>
>Eric,  to answer your questsons
>a) simple really, build an RPM that has been built to RH/Fedora's
>organization.
>b) see answer a.
>
>To build a rpm to these specs, you have 3 real choices.  One of them I
>outlined in my response, which is to run the makerpms.sh script, which I
>think you need to add u+x permissions to before it will run.
>Option 2 is to grab a src.rpm and build that way.  This is a long
>description, but it's pretty easy.  If you download
>http://us4.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/RedHat/SRPMS/samba-3.0.14a-1.src.rpm
>and install that, you will get the sources installed in a way that you can
>build from them in RHs directory structure.  To build the rpm files, you
>go to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS and execute 'rpmbuild -bb samba.spec' which
>will then go nuts building, provided you have any dependancies installed,
>it will complain if you don't.  If it does complain, install any packages
>it is asking for.  Once it exits (hopefully with a 0 result) you will have
>packages built in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 (assuming that you're running
>an x86-32 arch).   Install all the samba packages without the -debug in
>the name.  I'm sure there's an option to disable debug builds, but I don't
>know it off hand.
>
>- note that you have to have a few deve packages installed to just get
>started here, like rpmbuild (I think, it used to be named that) and maybe
>some other stuff.  Try to run rpmbuild bare and see if it runs, if not
>start to install that and put in whatever it asks for.  If you aren't sure
>how to do that, go to your install disk's rpm directory and run rpm -ivh
> [...]

If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own life, then you are
like a mouse trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong.
They think you are dinner.
         --Anonymous