[Samba] Samba Install/SWAT Access

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Sun Apr 17 15:41:27 GMT 2005

I'm running FC3, kernel 2.6.9-1.667, with the KDE desktop.  This came with
Samba v 3.0.11-fc3 bundled.  I've since installed v 3.0.14a.  I'm also
extremely new to Linux, so please bear with me.

My questions are very basic.  The FC3-bundled samba is in /etc/samba, and
the "upgrade" went into /usr/local/samba.  To get SWAT to work, I had to
copy the smb.conf that's in /etc/samba into /usr/local/samba/lib.  However,
this latter version is not read by the networking functionality, or by
CUPS--only when I used KDE's samba editor to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf was I
able to see my Linux box from my Windows machines (running Win2k) or get
printing to work.  I have 2 samba versions installed, but my system is
still using only the older version.

So: How do I point SWAT at the etc/samba version?  How do I get my system
to use the newer version in its different location?  More optimally, how do
I control the installation destination directory, so that I can install
future versions (including reinstalling 3.0.14a) into /etc/samba?

Thanks for your help.

Eric Hines

If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own life, then you are
like a mouse trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong.
They think you are dinner.
         --Anonymous