[Samba] Re: still ACL bug in 3.0.14a

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Apr 15 22:04:40 GMT 2005

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 04:43:34PM -0500, Tom Schaefer wrote:
> Solaris guy here.
>
> Since my last posting I HAVE managed to replicate this problem with
> 3.0.14a on Linux. Red Hat Enterprise Advanced Server version 3 to be
> exact.
>
> Although I did not specify --with-acl-support as a configure option.

Of course, that's why it's failing. You must add --with-acl-support
to the configure. When you do it will start working.

> I have never needed to compile --with-acl-support in order to have Samba
> properly make use of the ACLs I've set up.

Yes, this is a change and one we should have mentioned in the release notes.
It didn't occur to us (me actually) that this would change things until I
saw the reports and started thinking about it.

>  Actually, that had crossed my
> mind ealier today.  I was reasonably sure the configure script picked and
> compiled in ACL support automatically on Solaris.

No, it will not. You *must* specify --with-acl-support. You're mistaking
it finding the ACL headers from deciding to use the ACL code.

> Anyhow, I just got done reconfiguring and compiling on Solaris.  In the
> same directory full of Samba 3.0.14a source code that I used this morning.
>
> ./configure --sbindir=/usr/local/samba/bin --with-acl-support
>
> I did not do a make dist clean first or anything like that though.  Maybe
> I need to do that because what I ended up with STILL has the same problem.

make clean - ensure you're using the new build. It is perfectly reproducible
for me, no --with-acl-support the problem appears, use --with-acl-support
and the problem is gone.

Jeremy.