[Samba] Request: Documentation Review - Update

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Fri Apr 15 18:09:00 GMT 2005

Folks,

Over the past week I have significantly updated the book "Samba-3 by Example"
that is available on-line as the Samba-Guide. The latest changes will be
reflected in the on-line version within 24 hours at:

	http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf

The feedback since my last request for documentation review has been welcome.
Please keep this coming. Your help is essential so that the quality and
validity of the documentation can be assured. I have read through and tidied
up so much of the Samba-Guide now that my eyes just see what I believe was
added. The time is now right for the "many eyes will find all the bugs"
process to make me humble. :-)

In particular feedback is needed (in order of priority) for the following:

	1. Chapter 9
	2. Chapter 7
	3. Chapter 5
	4. Chapter 10

In all about 100 pages have been added. The documentation is now more or less
up to date for Samba 3.0.15 (soon to be released).

I have had some feedback on chapter 10, but no suggestions for improvement. I
would welcome hearing directly from anyone who has migrated NetWare servers
to Samba. I need more expert input.

When all the feedback has been incorporated into the book the final step will
be to clean up the formatting before it is reprinted. When this book goes
into print its success in the book market is essential otherwise the
liklihood of it being reprinted in future will be low. For this reason I am
actively asking for the most critical review feedback with no shots held
back.

Personally, I feel that this book has reached the point where the return for
effort to add valuable content is lower than the energy it takes to add it.
If I am on the wrong track anywhere in this book I would appreciate being
told bluntly.

Again, thanks for the feedback so far.

PS: Please be kind to dead trees - print only as much as necessary for
review. :-)

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra