[Samba] Error: Access to the resource \\netbiosname has been disallowed?

Aaron Rosenblum arosenbl at mac.com
Fri Apr 15 17:57:52 GMT 2005

Hey all,

I have a samba server running 3.0.10 and I am getting a weird response
from PC (XP and 2K) clients.  The PCs are joined to the domain as is
the samba server.  When any PCs try to connect using the netbios name
or IP I get the error:

Access to the resource \\netbiosname has been disallowed.

If I unjoin the PCs from the ADS domain, they can connect fine.  I see
no kerberos errors and smb.conf is not set up to use it so its passing
through non kerberos auth.  The weird thing is, if I go into a user
account in AD, click the profile tab and then add a path to a share on
my samba box (using \\IPaddress\Sharename) it maps the drive for the
PCs when they log in, but subsequent attempts to connect to the same
samba server (even by IP) after login fail with the above message.

This leads me to think that there is some policy being applied to the
PCs that is preventing them from connecting.  I looked on the domain
controller (win2k3) and see that:

Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Domain Controller
Security Policy.  in Local Policies: Security Options, and set the
following:

     * Microsoft Network Server: Digitally sign communications (always):
DISABLED
     * Microsoft Network Server: Digitally sign communications (if
client agrees): ENABLED

     * Microsoft Network Client: Digitally sign communications (always):
DISABLED
     * Microsoft Network Client: Digitally sign communications (if
server agrees): ENABLED

     * Domain Member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure data channel
(always): DISABLED
     * Domain Member: Digitally encrypt secure data channel (when
possible): ENABLED
     * Domain Member: Digitally sign secure data channel (when
possible): ENABLED

And then I also checked that:

Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level: Sent NTLM response
only

After changing these settings I did a:

gpuupdate /Force /Wait:0 to apply the settings on the domain controller.

However, my PC clients still can't connect.  Has anyone run into this
before?  Any more policies to look for?  Is this a known issue with
this combination?

thanks

Aaron