[Samba] winbind problems. it just wont work

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Fri Apr 15 15:27:24 GMT 2005

On Friday 15 April 2005 09:04, Ramses van Pinxteren wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am still batteling with winbind, and frankly, i am getting
> desperate enough to long for a weekend without any computers in sight
> (that is bad for an addict)
>
> I know I probably make a small stuid blunder but still, I cant find
> it. The attachment is my smb.conf file. I created the needed paths, I
> even made sure the ermissions are set!
>
> I created asmbusers file with contains the following line:
> root = Administrator admin
>
> Then I added a user root to the smbpasswd file
> smbpasswd -a root
> password: XXXXXXXX
> after a couple of errors that the smbpasswd file doesnt exists it
> becomes smart enough to create the file.
>
> Then I made the neccessary changes in my /etc/nsswitch.conf file
>
> as an added bonus I tried to "join" the samba to its own domain
> (Dunno if that should be working, but it doesnt!)
> rpc net join -S SMB3-MAIN -U root
> password: XXXXXXXX
> Could not connect to server SMB3-MAIN
>
> (I checked the processtatus, and everything is running!)
>
> Then I started the winbind daemon, and typed in
> wbinfo -u
> error looking up domain users
>

> I give up. can anyone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me where I goofed up,
> and that I am a stupid dutchman for doing so?

How stupid can a Dutchman be? I have been practicing for over 50 years and
want the stupid Dutchman of the Century award! How much harder do I have to
work to get there?

Have you followed the Samba-Guide carefully? If you can point me to the exact
step in the Samba-Guide that is not working I will help you to resolve the
issue.

Wat scrijft, blijft.

- Jan (de man die niet alles kan!)
--