[Samba] Re: Review Request: Samba-3 by Example Update

Fri Apr 15 11:04:41 GMT 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 02:41:49AM -0600, John H Terpstra wrote:
> 2) Do the new Update and Migration chapters satisfy the demand for better
> documentation of the migration and update process? If not, what must be
> added to make this documentation complete?

The major obstacle I see with customers upgrading from 2 is missing at least in
http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/upgrades.html: The change to
unicode in file names. When you upgrade naively, you get garbled umlauts, as
the files are encoded in some codepage. People then store new files with UTF-8
encoding as they don't have 'unix charset' set correctly. The end result is a
mix of both encodings that is *very* hairy to split again.

You could mention Björn Jacke's convmv. http://j3e.de/linux/convmv/.

Volker