[Samba] Joining a domain controller with a conflict name

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Thu Apr 14 15:14:49 GMT 2005

Tom Skeren wrote:

> Jonathan Johnson wrote:
>
>> Again, this is the responsibility of the network administrator.
>> That's why a password is required to join a domain, so those who
>> don't know the password (read: your users) can't mess up your
>> network. As an administrator, it's your responsibility to make sure
>> that a network name conflict does not occur, by knowing if there's a
>> machine with THAT NAME on the network already.
>
> Yes, that's all fine and good, except when the boss allows some
> visiting dignitary to plug his laptop into the ethernet port in the
> conferernce room, etc.

Ah, office politics. So this means, to avoid offending the visiting
dignitary, we cannot ask him to rename his machine, but rather we must
rename our domain controller? :-) I suppose for this reason, it's good
to have "public access" ports and wireless access points on a firewalled
subnet.

~Jonathan Johnson
Sutinen Consulting, Inc.
www.sutinen.com