[Samba] How to prevent creation of unwanted user home directories with samba and winbind........

Mehmet Özgün mehmetozgun at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 07:45:21 GMT 2005

Hi all,

We're using NT4.0 server as a PDC.

I can easily logon the domain on Mandrake 10.1 with samba and winbind.
There is no problem with domain logons.

All we want is to create domain user home directory when the user
logon the computer locally.

But sometimes some domain user home directories are created at /home/NTDOMAIN
directory automatically even if they didn't logon the computer locally or didn't
access any shared resource remotelly.

I used tcpdump to find out the reasons of this home directory
creations. ( without logon locally )

I saw that Windows 2000 computers send netbios-ssn (port 139) packets
to network occasionally.
When a linux client receives these packets it creates a home directory
for the user which is loged on the windows computer that sends these
packets.

Is there way to prevent the creation of the user home directories on
the linux clients when they receive netbios-ssn packets from windows
2000 computers.

My smb.conf file is below.

Thanks.

[global]