[Samba] POSSIBLE RESOLUTION: Extremely slow during browsing some directories (MS KB Articles)

Linwei Cheng hcheng at sjgeophysics.com
Wed Apr 13 19:18:50 GMT 2005

hi,

I thought over my previous problem again, and feel samba was not guilty for
my issue. Although I am still not quite sure, it seems that the
mal-configured EXT3/LVM/RAID caused the problem. I remember that after I
first installed Samba and made share on a ext3 file system which is a LVM
volume which is on software RAID1 disks, everything works fine. The evil
began after I "did something" on extending the LVM size and do "resize2fs"
to extend the filesystem as well. The possibility is I screwed up with the
LVM device and RAID device and Disk device and filesystem at the very time.
I ALSO experienced system crush several times after I did that. So, when I
went over all the devices and did the LVM extending again very carefully,
the issue disappeared. The machine is running for about 3 weeks without the
same problem raise again.

( I do simple "share" security now so it should be no problem on
authentication delay ).

My system info is now:
kernel: 2.6.10-1.770_FC3
samba: 3.0.13 ( updated from 3.0.12pre )
LVM2: 2.00.25-1.01
Mdadm: 1.6.0-2

Hope this could do some help for others suffered similar problem as mine.

Regards,
Lin wei