[Samba] POSSIBLE RESOLUTION: Extremely slow during browsing some directories (MS KB Articles)

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Fri Apr 1 20:11:12 GMT 2005

A colleague ran across this Microsoft (lack of) Knowledge Base article:

"Long delay in the display of file names from the "Open" dialog box in
Office XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818792

which lists a hotfix available from Microsoft. Also, on some Microsoft
discussion lists, there's been some experience that the presence of an
invalid/disconnected mapped drive can impact the issue, or the presence
of a large number of files/folders in the folder being browsed..

In addition, there's another article:
"The File Open dialog box does not automatically select the first
available document in an Office 2003 program"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832889

which contains this tidbit of wisdom (and references article 818792):
"If the AutoSelect feature is enabled in the *Open* dialog box, and you
view a folder on a network share that contains many files and folders,
you may experience a delay of two to five minutes before the *Open*
dialog box is populated and the first available Office 2003 document is
selected."

In reading these two articles, I get the sense that in Office XP (Office
2002) "it's a feature not a bug" and that in Office 2003, "it was a
buggy feature so we disabled it by default." Even though it's supposed
to be disabled in 2003, you might want to double-check the registry hack
mentioned in 818792, maybe setting DisableAutoSelect to 1 just to be sure.

--Jonathan Johnson
Sutinen Consulting, Inc.
jon at sutinen.com