[Samba] File listing problems in 3.0.13

Cale Fairchild cale at brocku.ca
Wed Apr 13 18:14:23 GMT 2005

I have looked into this further and need to ammend the reported problems. It
seems that on servers which have issues regarding this problem it was
introduced with version 3.0.12 not 3.0.13.

Interestingly enough I installed it on an IRIX server (same OS version) that
has never had Samba installed on it and both 3.0.12 and 3.0.13 work fine. I
have used the same smb.conf file on both and have the same directory structure
in the shared folder.

On the server that demonstrates problems the file listing problem does not
seem to be limited to a newly created directory, in fact it seems that the
directory count interally in Samba comes back short. I looked at the level 5
logs of the same server running 3.0.11 and then 3.0.12 and here are the only
noticable differences

1926c1914
<   start_dir dir=./
---
>   dptr_create dir=./

2090c2078
<   dptr_num is 256, mask = *, attr = 16, dirptr=(0x10303758,142)
---
>   dptr_num is 256, mask = *, attr = 16, dirptr=(0x1048C7F0,2019361245)

2210d2197
<   get_lanman2_dir_entry found ./.desktophost fname=.desktophost

2213c2200
<   SMBtrans2 mask=* directory=./ dirtype=22 numentries=120
---
>   SMBtrans2 mask=* directory=./ dirtype=22 numentries=119

Is there a possiblity that the second value in
'dirptr=(0x1048C7F0,2019361245)'  has overflowed?

I also just noticed that dptr_create seems to have replaced start_dir so I will
take a look at that code.

If anyone else is having this problem it would be good to know. Also any
suggestions on where else to look would be appreciated.

Thanks.

   Cale Fairchild
   Systems Administrator
   Computer Science