[Samba] how to mount the windows shares

ankush grover ankushmailing at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 06:50:50 GMT 2005

Hey friends,

 I want to mount some windows shares on Linux workstations in my
office.I am using FC3 and my shares are on Windows XP pro and Windows
2003 Server.

I tried this command to mount those shares

mount -t cifs -o username=windowsusename
//windows2003/sharename/anotherfolder /mnt/server

the samba then asks for the password of the windows  user,i gave the
correct password but then Linux returns with an error

mount error 6 = No such device or address
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

The /anotherfolder exists under windows2003/sharename.

I can access the windows2003/sharename by giving this command.

mount -t cifs -o username=windowsusename //windows2003/sharename /mnt/server

but i want to give access to the users only to some folders on which
they have rights not to other folders means only one or 2 subfolders
under /windows2003/sharename and not allowing access to all the
folders under sharename.

I also tried this on Windows XP using the command

mount -t smbfs -o username=windowsusename
//windowsxp/sharename/somefolder /mnt/xp

but this also gave an error

4858: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an
invalid share name)
SMB connection failed

Whereas i can access the sharename by giving this command

mount -t smbfs -o username=windowsusename //windowsxp/sharename/ /mnt/xp

Please tell me whether this is possible or not.I watn to give access
to some folders to the users not to all the folders .

Thanks & Regards

Ankush