[Samba] Re: Problems with Excel & MS Word files (EVEN - still ANY ideas?)

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Tue Apr 12 15:58:40 GMT 2005

Since applying the two patches you emailed me (one for cpu load, one for MS
Excel issues):

All is working fine now except MS Word; don't know if it's entirely related
or a separate issue all together, but figured I'd post the details and see
if you can think of anything; here's the behaior:

Word (apparently) creates a "~384somerandomnamefile.tmp" when a user saves,
the actual file they opened goes to 0 bytes, their smbd process goes to 100%
CPU load, MS Word locks up. We forcefully kill their smbd process, rename
the ~whatever.tmp file to their original whatever.doc file, restart their PC
(else word acts up stupid), and we're good to go... Until the next time it
happens.

Apparently random files, and varyinf users/network segments as before.
Excel, powerpoint, etc not locking up nor causing similar issues at all
anyore - just MS Word. I think it might have something to do with the
autosave feature, or some sort of option in word making it create/deal with
the tmp files but I really don't understand or know the bahavior well enough
to fix it entirely on my own. Help?

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com