[Samba] cleaning messages.tdb

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Tue Apr 12 13:58:40 GMT 2005

>> I have a drive almost full because of the messages.tdb problem
>> with print queue. I will upgrade samba, but , how can I clean
>> it quick ?
>>
>> I searched the mailing list archives and I didn't find it.
>

> On my RHAS3 test server I've found it does no harm t stop the smb
> service, delete *all* the .tdb files and restart the smb service. They
> get regenerated. YMMV. It can't hurt to do the same with the one
> messages.tdb file (or can it?)

It should be noted however that you don't want to delete absolutely all
the tdb files.  There are a few notable exceptions in every domain style
installation such as secrets.tdb and more files such as
group_mapping.tdb and the passwd file (which I don't know the name of)
if you're using tdbsam.  I would gather that the printer driver
assignments are in a tdb file too but I can't say for sure which of the
many printer-related looking files they are in.

--
Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.