[Samba] Re: winbind on a domain with 150000 users

Martin Konold konold at erfrakon.de
Mon Apr 11 08:42:10 GMT 2005

Hi,

> > I have an installation with 170000 groups and 70000 users. wbinfo -u or
> > wbinfo -g are never working and lead to a block winbindd.
> >

> Thanks for sharing this, it is the third report, that listing groups or
> users in large installations leads to instability of the system (if
> winbind is used in nsswitch.conf).  Can we agree that it's worth a bug
> report?  Should we write a new one or use #2567?  And I also think
> that severity is at least major.  This needs a little more attention.
> The problem is, when winbind blocks and is used in nsswitch.conf, other
> processes suffer as well.  I don't know of a way to not use winbind
> in nsswitch.conf as samba would no longer possible to authenticate
> users.

To my knowledge the Samba Team is aware of the issue already. Basically it
is a scalability issue with the design of winbindd (basically winbindd is
single threaded and blocks on large requests).

BTW: 'getent passwd' works flawlessly on the tested system as the number
of presented entries is rather low and can be handled from the cache.

Regards,
--martin