[Samba] /tmp does not exist or is not a directory

Res res at ausics.net
Mon Apr 11 01:54:14 GMT 2005

Hi All,

[2005/04/11 11:26:58, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(620)
   '/tmp' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting to [IPC$]

This wierd and wacky thing has just started for no apparent reason
no upgrades were done no system mods were performed, the file server is
just never played with except to add shares, testparm says all OK.

This also happens when a user tries to login, it comes up with the full
path saying it doesnt exist or is not a directory, but they do and are...
Its almost like Samba has lost the plot into what its 'master root' is.

smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(620)
  '/home/res' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting to
[res]
(bit of problem there *IF* my unix login was flapped up, so its
fine because logins are ok)

Google is full of diferent stuff about this and no clear suggestions to
wtf it is, and a couple of suggestions of resolutions dont work,
  we have tried a fresh samba conf install,  one working one from another
samba server and its fine.

Version 3.0.9-1.3E.2

smbclient -L fox -N
Domain=[HOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9-1.3E.2]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

of note here when smbclient is ran with -d8 is that it says session setup
OK ???

Domain=[HOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9-1.3E.2]
  session setup ok
write_socket(4,98)
write_socket(4,98) wrote 98
size=35
smb_com=0x75
smb_rcls=204
smb_reh=0
smb_err=49152
smb_flg=136
smb_flg2=49153
smb_tid=0
smb_pid=9329
smb_uid=0
smb_mid=3
smt_wct=0
smb_bcc=0
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Other info...
hosts.allow/deny are fine
This is also an NFS exports to our primary backups server (has not been an
issue before tho)
Kernel: 2.4.21-27.0.2.EL
Last Mod time on smb.conf - month ago, known to be working a week ago, the
machine lost power, when it came up it still worked, had uptime since
then.

This machine is mainly used for group shares so the backups server has smb
on it for a tad whilst we sort this out and the NFS shares allow access to
it, but we dont want it to be this way, kind of defeats the purpose of a
file server dpoesnt it :) .... so any suggestions muchly appreciated

Cheers
Res