[Samba] Re: No domain server was available to validate your password. [Solved]

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Sun Apr 10 15:44:50 GMT 2005

søn, 10.04.2005 kl. 15.35 skrev Paul Gienger:

[...]

> Personally I would appreciate a well designed discussion about why
> certain things suck and how they can be rebuilt as opposed to FUD
> spamming.  One person's overly critical opinion has clearly scared at
> least one person here.

O.k., I'll bite. I contend that:

Using SWAT to see what you have have and  what you could have (help, aka
'man smb.conf'), is good. Using SWAT for configuring Samba is bad, since
changes to smb.conf need to be brought about one at a time, testing what
one has done in the meantime and seeing whether it has been beneficial
or not.

As you wrote (almost ;), SWAT will completely rewrite smb.conf, making
it almost impossible to remember what you changed the last time, unless
you keep notes - which should not be necessary.

I don't adopt that approach with any programming tools that I know of.
If I were to do that with my shell, sed or awk scripts, my Postfix
main.cf or master.cf, my slapd.conf or ldap.conf, my Courier authdaemond
config, my dspam.conf, etc. etc., I'd be in one hell of a mess. In fact,
I even back them up, comments and all, first, before I change them.

The fact that you use SWAT as a matter of course in as much as "it works
for you" is merely an indicator of how you work.The same applies to your
(and others') uncritical use of the idealx scripts. The latter prevent
OpenLDAP administrators from ever growing up, put them into a straight
jacket from which they can never emerge without going through painful
surgery or adopting a devil-may-care attitude.

Subjecting people to meaningless rules is always a retrograde approach.

--Tonni

--
Nothing sucksseeds like a pigeon without a beak ...

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

They love us, don't they, They feed us, won't they ...