[Samba] Cups print jobnames became SMB jobname not doc name

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Apr 10 12:19:19 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 17:47 -0700, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> SMITH, Gregory C. wrote:
> | Since upgrading to Fedora Core 3 the jobname for the
> | files being printed to our PDF CUPS backend have
> | become the Samba jobname as in "SMBPRN.888009.hjdcl"
> | instead of the application filename such as "Microsoft
> | Word - Document1.DOC".  This stops us from providing
> | a properly-named PDF file to our users.
> |
> | Our other server that is still on Core 1 does not have
> | this problem.  I've seen other mentions of this problem
> | going back several years but no definitive answer.
>
> This is currently by design and I've not come up with a better
> solution yet.  The problem is the API used to map SMB job
> id's to unix job id's.  The API was originally designed
> around lpd/BSD printing and so CUPS is dound by that
> current limitation.
>
> If anyone has a clean way to solve this, I'm open to ideas.
> But changing the API is not a practical option at this point.

I looked at the APIs for IPP, and it appears that you can request a CUPS
job-id before submitting the file.  This should allow us to fill in the
job id into the printing DB at the point where we need to have that ID
for the clients.  That might allow us to avoid the job id in name
problem.

But this is all just from me reading the docs, not trying it, so it's
just for the ideas box.

Andrew Bartlett