[Samba] 16-bit Application Compatibility

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Apr 9 22:29:11 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 11:48 +0200, Ulrik Guenther wrote:

> I had the same problem on FreeBSD/amd64 with some old 16bit application.
> I fixed it by adding the following to my smb.conf:
>
> ~  mangling method = hash2
> ~  mangling char = ~
> ~  mangle prefix = 6
>
> This *should* result in names like DOCUME~1.DOC etc.
> I hope this helps you :)

I strongly recommend against touching the mangling settings.  It is
impossible for Samba to recreate the mangled names used on a non-Samba
platform, and the larger you make 'mangle prefix' the higher chance you
have of creating a collision, where two different documents have the
same short name.

The way to work with old 16 bit applications is to only have short 8.3
named documents.  The above will 'fix' things a little, but the risks
are high, and because those names will start be recorded around the
place, you may strike trouble when you wish to change the settings
again.

Andrew Bartlett