[Samba] Windows Server 2003 SP 1

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Fri Apr 8 13:09:53 GMT 2005

On Friday 08 April 2005 08:46 am, you wrote:
> Dimitri Yioulos wrote:
> |> I applied it to my DC that is playing the PDC role
> |> today and all of a sudden Winbind could not
> |> enumerate any Active Directory information.  Mind you,
> |> I'm not joined to the domain using Kerberos/ADS;

> | As to your problem, you might want to read this:
> |
> | http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2005-April/040187.html
>
> Here's 2 more threads.  The second one applies to you I believe.
>
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2005-April/040316.html
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2005-April/040322.html
>
> We are planning a 3.0.14 patch release to deal with the Win2003 sp1
> issues early next week.
>
> If you need a immediate workaround for the current code, you
> can set 'client schannel = no' in smb.conf and then set
> the credentials to use when connecting by calling
> 'wbinfo --set-auth-user='domain\user%pw'.  See the wbinfo/winbind
> man page for more details.
>

> cheers, jerry

Jerry,

Many thanks.

Not only did SP1 break Samba, but it also wreaked havoc with our Dell server
running Dell OpenManage.  That problem was confirmed by Microsoft support
personnel.

Now, slightly aside, in the past, I would never add a patch or service pack
without letting it mellow out in the world for a while.  But something
overtook me, and I went ahead and added it immediately.  Results - chaos.
Let that be a lesson to you wacky kids out there :-)

Dimitri