[Samba] Changing file ownership from Windows

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Fri Apr 8 10:22:35 GMT 2005

tor, 07.04.2005 kl. 16.22 skrev Marek Drápal:

> thank you very much for your reply. Actually it seems, that the problem is
> somewhere else. I'll show why.
>
> > It's possible you don't have ACL support either in your distro, Samba or
> > both.
>
> I think I have both. Here are some proofs:
>
> 1) xi:/home/public# mount
> /dev/hda4 on /home type ext3 (rw,acl)
>
> 2)xi:/home/public# ll /home/public/ttt.txt
> -rwxrwxrwx+ 1 root w2k-domain-admins 0 2005-04-07 15:55 /home/public/ttt.txt
>
> xi:/home/public# getfacl /home/public/ttt.txt
> getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
> # file: home/public/ttt.txt
> # owner: root
> # group: w2k-domain-admins
> user::rwx
> group::rwx
> group:w2k-zamestnanci:r-x
> mask::rwx
> other::rwx
>
> 3) The same file after playing with windows exploder
> xi:/home/public# ll /home/public/ttt.txt
> -r--rwx---+ 1 root w2k-domain-admins 0 2005-04-07 15:55 /home/public/ttt.txt
>
> xi:/home/public# getfacl /home/public/ttt.txt
> getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
> # file: home/public/ttt.txt
> # owner: root
> # group: w2k-domain-admins
> user::r--
> group::r--
> group:Ucetnici:r-x
> mask::rwx
> other::---
>
> As you can see I was able to change the permissions, ACL group, BUT I am
> unable to change main owner and group! When I try to change it I get no error,
> but the group/owner I changed is added via ACL and the main group/owner is
> unchanged (everything done under root in windows).
> Turnig off inheritence doesn't help.
>
> Any hints?

Ah. I see what you mean. I don't think Windows has any concept of
file/directory ownership, so changing it from a Windows client is
strictly notional. NT simply took over from DOS/FAT and added ACLs. So
you can give/change access permissions, but you can't change the
ownership, cos there isn't any.

--Tonni

--
Nothing sucksseeds like a pigeon without a beak ...

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

They love us, don't they, They feed us, won't they ...