[Samba] problems adding Machine Trust Accounts (useradd?)

Mariano Cunietti mcunietti at enter.it
Tue Apr 5 16:22:29 GMT 2005

Hi,
I'm moving a Samba 3.0.10 configuration from a Mandrake 10.1 Official to
a production machine with RedHat Enterprise 4ES.
Everything was running smoothly on the stage server, but now it seems
nothing's gonna work.

The problem (I think) is that RH implements a version of adduser/useradd
which doesn't support "$" character in the username: for this reason, I
am not able to add Machine Trust Accounts from a remote machine, via the
"add machine script" command.

(BTW: IMHO, Samba logging is awful, you span from nothing at level 1 to
nothing at level 10).

Can anybody give me some advice? Thanks

Mariano

--