[Samba] smbldap-tools not playing nice w/ samba ?

Ben Davis ben at xsusio.com
Thu Apr 7 03:23:20 GMT 2005

Please help!

I'm having a difficult time getting a machine to join my domin.  Samba
sucessfully adds the machine account using the smbldap-useradd -w
script,  but I get the error "The user name could not be found".

Here's what it looks like it's doing in the ldap logs:

1. There's a login as cn=Manager, which searches for the root account,
and then for a bunch of gidNumbers.  It then searches for the machine$
with a sambaSamAccount objectclass, and exits.

2. It then reconnects anonymously and searches for machine$ and MACHINE$
twice (no results).

3. After that it connects again as cn=Manager and and searches for the
machine$ under posixAccount (still no restuls).  It then finally adds
the entry for machine$  but without the sambaSamAccount objectclass.

After that there are no more LDAP queries.   What could be causing the
error I'm getting?