[Samba] 3.0.7 and Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Tue Apr 5 09:58:28 GMT 2005

I have checked the archives and found some references to this problem, but no
answers.

I set up a simple file server using 3.0.7 with

  workgroup = SAGEGRP
  netbios name = SAGE
  prefered master = yes
  local master = yes
  wins server = ppp.qqq.rrr.sss
  etc.

I can connect to a share on the server, but another user can't.  While looking into
this I saw that every 15 minutes log.nmbd contains the two lines

 Unable to find  the Domain Master Browser name SAGEGRP<1b> for the wokgroup SAGEGRP.
 Unambe to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

I checked another serve which is set up similarly, but with a different workgroup
and is working fine and see the equivalent two lines on that server too.

What I don't understand is why SAMBA appears not to be able to find itself as the
Domain Master Browser!  In both cases only the servers are set as being members of
their own workgroups.

Any suggestions as to how I can stop this problem will be most welcome.

Phil.