[Samba] Samba 3.x SVN and OS/2 support.

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Tue Apr 5 09:47:43 GMT 2005

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> Hi all Samba OS/2 users. I've just added OS/2 style
> extended attribute support into the SAMBA_3_0 subversion
> branch code.
>
> This depends on the underlying OS supporting EA's and
> (on linux) the filesystem being mounted with the "user_xattr"
> mount option and the parameter "ea support = yes" being set
> in smb.conf.
>
> Please check out this code and test it - let me know if there
> are any errors with using OS/2 EA's with Samba3 and I'll try
> and get them fixed before 3.0.14.
>
> Thanks,
>
> 	Jeremy

Ok, so this is the situation:

_ up to yesteday I had to stick to the old, unsupported, unsecure 2.2.12
release, since 3.x showed compatibility problems with OS/2;

_ now I tryied 3.0.12_1.1 using the FreeBSD port: the compatibility
problem is there again. Everything works from the command line, but the
WorkPlace Shell cannot work with remote shares. Extended Attributes also
don't seem to work: if I do COPY xxx G:, then COPY G:xxx, they are gone.

_ then I tryied compiling myself (no patches) samba 3 SVN: if I leave EA
support off everything works from command line and WPS like with 2.2
(this is enough for me, although the more the better). If I turn on EAs,
the WPS can still browse shares, but I cannot copy any file *to* them;
command line works fine. In any case EAs don't work (see above); I guess
this is normal, since EA support on FreeBSD is added with port patches.

So, the conclusions are:

_ EAs just don't work on FreeBSD;
_ I'm left with the doubt wether the WPS bug is gone after 3.0.12 or it
is introduced with the FreeBSD patches; I'll wait until 3.0.13 is
incorporated in the port tree and check again.

Thanks to everyone.

  bye
	av.