[Samba] Samba 2.07 AIX

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.sulinet.hu
Mon Apr 4 19:49:26 GMT 2005

Sullivan, Joe FPCMS írta:

>We have several Samba servers, and a few running PVCS .
>
>The group that manages, supports PVCS (Version 7.5.1 ) is having a
>problem deleting files from Samba shares on an AIX Server version 5.2
>They do not have a similar problem on 2 of our Solaris Servers, 2.8
>
>The difference we see between the AIX server and the 2 Solaris Servers,
>is the version of Samba. On The Solaris Servers Samba is version 2.2.8a,
>or the AIX server it is 2.07.
>
>There is thought these things started occurring when the users were
>migrated to Windows Active Directory . I'm not too certain they didn't
>begin occurring once the Desktop O/S was upgraded from Windows NT to XP
>. ( Some of the errors returned mention not being able to handle file
>extended rights..)
>
>There doesn't seem to be any logic as to when files can be deleted and
>when they can't.
>
>I'm curious to ask you, Do you think the version of Samba could be the
>cause ? Is Samba 2.0.7 too old to support Active Directory and extended
>file rights ?

Yes it is
I had a working Samba 2.0.7 few years ago, and yes I had problems with
extended rights. Fortunately I haven't ever had AD /NT4 DOMControlers on
production systems.
As probably anybody else from this list I would suggest an upgrade to
Samba 3.0.13 as big lots of bugs performance problems have been fixed
since 2.2.8. In fact the 2.x.y branch is no longer maintained.

>If anyone has ever heard or seen of anything like this, or similar could
>you let me know.
>
>Thanks,

Cheers

Geza