[Samba] Samba 3 by Example & Migrations

jonlists jonlists at cbsol.com
Fri Apr 1 14:24:26 GMT 2005

I agree on the migrations and Samba 3 - but I suppose the Samba team would
appreciate it if rather than just requesting it, maybe some of us should
provide some content, eh?

Basically, with smbpasswd, if you take the /etc/shadow, etc/group, and
/etc/passwd, the contents of /etc/samba, and I believe /var/lib/samba and
move it to another machine, you've effectively migrated to that machine.
One key here is keeping the host name the same so that the SID's remain
intact.

You could change the hostname if you restore the SID use the net
getlocalSID - but keeping the SID intact is the key to keeping your domain
structure intact.

I'd do the upgrade to ldbsam (or ldap, if inclined) after you did the
migration to new hardware.

Good luck......

Jon Johnston
Creative Business Solutions
IBM, Microsoft, Novell/Suse, Sophos Consultants
http://www.cbsol.com
blog:http://bingo.cbsol.com

samba-bounces+jonlists=cbsol.com at lists.samba.org wrote on 04/01/2005
08:01:03 AM: