[Samba] Samba 3 by Example & Migrations

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Fri Apr 1 14:01:03 GMT 2005

One topic I can't find in either Samba 3 by Example or the Offical Samba
3 Howto & Reference Guide is that of migrating from a Samba3 server to a
newer Samba 3 server (meaning newer hardware in this case).

We are currently using the smbpasswd backend. I plan to move to tdbsam
but that hasn't been done yet. All of the servers in question are
running either whitebox 3 or redhat 9 (if it matters) and Samba 3.0.4.
Our primary migration goal is to not have to touch all the 2000
workstations to rejoin them to the domain.

I have messed around with manually merging /etc/group, /etc/passwd,
/etc/shadow, /etc/samba/smbpasswd and copying /etc/samba/secrets.tdb
from the old to the new server and have been able to make this work
(once at least so far - I'm still experimenting) but would like to use
better methods for the migration.

I like 'net rpc vampire' on NT4 but that to my surprise doesn't seem to
work against a Samba PDC and if it is addressed in a Samba to Samba
context in either book I couldn't find it. I'm going to experiment in a
little while with converting to tdbsam first but it occured to me that
someone out there might be able to cut down on the time I have to spend
experimenting if I just ask.

Anyone done this before?

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us

NOTE: In order to control energy costs the light at the end
of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice...