[Samba] Weird thing with Samba and Final Cut Pro

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Wed Sep 29 14:55:38 GMT 2004

Does anybody have a clue why, when I access my Linux Samba server from a Mac
G5 (OS X 10.3.x) and try to capture digital video files, the Apple Final Cut
application -- in allocating disk space for the file it's about to capture --
actually writes to the hard drive for a long time (presumably writing zeros)
until it has created a file the very size of what it expects to store on the
Samba server. This process basically occurs in real time. If I expect to capture
a 30 minute file, the process takes about 30 minutes before capturing actually
begins.

When I access the same Linux server with Apple File Sharing/Netatalk, the
disk space is allocated instantly and capturing begins right away.

Could there be anything to configure in Samba that would make it behave more
like Netatalk in this regard?

Andy Liebman