[Samba] Confused by winbind trusted domains only

Hugh Caley Hugh_Caley at affymetrix.com
Tue Sep 28 21:06:05 GMT 2004

I'm setting up a Samba 3 server that will use AD security and serve home
directories and other shares.  I have two types of users, with and
without local unix accounts.  I'm using winbind.

If I enable "winbind trusted domains only" my local unix user can log
into the server and is presented with his unix home directory; however,
a windows user who has no local account cannot log in at all.

If, however, I take out that parameter the Windows user can then log in
but my local unix user does not get his home directory.  Evidently a
matchup between the unix user's UID (hcaley) and the username returned
by AD (HCaley) is not taking place.

Is there a way I can get both to work properly?

Hugh

--
Hugh Caley | Unix Systems Administrator | CIS
AFFYMETRIX, INC. | 6550 Vallejo St. Ste 100 | Emeryville, CA 94608
Tel: 510-428-8537 | Hugh_Caley at affymetrix.com