[Samba] Cross-subnet browsing and oplocks

rruegner robert at ruegner.org
Wed Sep 29 00:01:44 GMT 2004

Hi Michael,

do you use the tap device?
like this ( man openvpn advice tap instead of tun devices for win networks)

#example conf
#my partners dns name
remote your.partner.dns
#kind of device
dev tap0
float
#tunnel ips my tunnel nic .... partners tunnel nic
ifconfig 192.168.10.2 255.255.255.0
#what to do if comming up
up /etc/openvpn/your.partner.dns.conf # optional, but good for setting route
# timeouts
ping               15
ping-restart      300 # 5 minutes
resolv-retry      300 # 5 minutes
persist-tun
persist-key
# compression (optional)
comp-lzo
# verbosity (optional)
verb 5
#user and group
user nobody
group nogroup
secret /etc/openvpnkey
#mtu
#mtu-test
tun-mtu 1500
#daemonize
daemon
#tune
#fragment 1400
#mssfix 1400
tun-mtu-extra 64

i have a few setups with pdc and bdc sambas across
openvpn networks and they work quite well, i never found some
oplocks problems ( what makes not sure that they are some )
but in 6 Months on 3 Servers with 100 Users and gigs of files
nobody talked about that.

Study the subnet browsing stuff from samba,
using openvpn as laptop clients i found not satisfactory
i use pptp vor my roadwarriors.

oplocks are difficult to understand, i had my troubles with them in the
past but now it worked from default with samba 3.07
but i read there are a few filetypes which making special trouble with them.
Maybe this was usefull for you its a complex theme
Regards