[Samba] Roaming profiles problem

Pedro Silva psilva at dcc.online.pt
Tue Sep 28 14:35:35 GMT 2004

>> OK, no problem with that... but after I logoff nothing is placed in the
>> user profile dir...
>

> Where do you 'think' the profile dir is set to?  Not trying to be
> demeaning, I would like to know so perhaps I could give you the right
> line for smb.conf.  You currently have this in your smb.conf:
>
> logon path = \\%L\%U\profile
>
> This gets expanded to \\servername\username\profile and then stores the
> profile data there, which seems to be what you are describing since
> \\servername\home usually equates to the user's UNIX home directory if
> you have the 'standard' homes share.
>
>> The contents in C:/Documents and Settings/$user_name
>> are beiing coppied to $user_home_dir/profile even after samba create
>> this directory if it doesn't exists.

Sorry if I'm not beeing very clear.

I have a machine that holds users homes and exports the home dir to the
samba server, ok? Then I configured the server so that each user profile
is placed in /home/$user_dir/profile by setting the line:

logon path = \\%L\%U\profile

What is happenig is that when a user logs in for the firs time if the
directory /home/$user/profile dosen't exist, it is created. The user
works in the client machine and then logs off. The content in the
directory /home/$user/profile is none... but the directory c:\Documents
and Settings\$user holds every thing.

I know that this is a local cache, but what I expected was that when the
user logs off all the contents in /home/$user/profile  where at least
the same as c:\Documents and Settings\$user

Hope you undestand now.

Pedro Silva