[Samba] Roaming Profiles:Samba PDC:WinXP:User must be local admin

sith lord junkmael99 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 13:53:00 GMT 2004

I'm having a problem with Roaming profiles in Windows XP with Samba as PDC.
I've googled and trolled the mailing lists and read the Samba documentation.

Problem:
User logs onto domain from WinXP client and profile is downloaded (you can
tell because it takes a long time and lights on hub are lit up).  However,
unless that user is in the admin group locally, all/some of the profile
isn't loaded.  eg, Desktop wallpaper, WinXP theme,  start menu settings,
etc. are not loaded.  No error is given.  No cached or default profile is
loaded.   If user is added to local admin group before-hand. everything is
O.K.  If user is subsequently removed from admin group, problem happens
again at next login.

What I've tried:
Upgrade Samba from 2.2 to 3 (currently 3.0.7).
Set the "Check ownership of profile" option to "disabled" on WinXP client
local policy (grpedit.msc)
Check ownership and permissisions on the samba server (though these still
might not be set properly).

System configuration:
Server:
RH9 (all packages updated)
Samba 3.0.7 (from rpm) (problem happened with 2.2 as well)
I would post smb.conf, but I don't have it right now.  I can post it later,
though.

Clients:
WinXP Pro SP2 (problem happened with pre sp1, & sp1a as well).

I'm not sure if this is an issue with on the samba/linux end or the win xp
client end.  The same problem happens on both of my win xp clients.  If it
is on the samba end, I'm wondering if it's related to ownership/permissions
not being quite right.   It is as if being admin on the local box allows you
to override whatever the problem is.

Any help is appreciated.  I'll post more info along with smb.conf if anyone
wants to see it.