[Samba] Roaming profiles problem

Pedro Silva psilva at dcc.online.pt
Mon Sep 27 17:24:51 GMT 2004

Hi,

I've a samba server set up with a ldap backend an I'v configured it to use
roaming profiles (ie: logon path = \\%L\%U\profile), the users homes are
exported by nfs to the server.

My problem is that the profile of the user always end up in C:/Documents and
Settings/$user .

I've already erased the local profile  and the profile directory in the users
home dir, but every time that I login the profile dir is created on users home
but nothing is placed there...

If I login with a user in my windows client nothing is coppied to this directory
when I logoff. Sometimes it says to me that there's is no space left on the
device. (wich is wrong...).

I'm really confused because according to docs If you want roaming profiles you
should set logon path to \\%L\%U\<some dir to store profile stuff>, wich is
almost the default: \\%N\%U\profile

I don't think that this is a question of permissions since the server creates
the $user_homedir/profile dir correctly....

Pedro Silva

This is my smb.conf:

[global]
        dos charset = 850
        unix charset = ISO8859-1
        workgroup = LABCC
        netbios name = WINSERVER
        server string = Servidor Windows dos Alunos
        map to guest = Bad User
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        add machine script = /usr/share/samba/scripts/smbldap-useradd.pl -w -d
/dev/null -g windows -c 'Windows Workstations Accounts' -s /bin/false %u
        logon path = \\%L\%U\profile
        logon drive = Z:
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 33
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        ldap admin dn = cn=root,dc=dcc
        ldap group suffix = ou=Grupos
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computadores
        ldap suffix = dc=alunos,dc=dcc
        ldap ssl = no
        ldap user suffix = ou=Pessoas
        admin users = admin
        hosts allow = 192.168.0., 192.168.115., 127.

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No