[Samba] smbmount dying after upgrade to 3.0.7

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Mon Sep 27 15:37:18 GMT 2004

Mates,

    After upgrading to 3.0.7, smbmount will intermittently fail to keep
shares mounted. My box is mandrake 7.2 with the 2.2.19 kernel. The mount
that dies is a windows share that is mounted as /mnt/backup. It is an old
Win95 box that I just use to mirror data nightly via rsync and cron. When
the script executes, it finds that /mnt/backup is not there. The script then
unmounts the share and remounts the share and the backup proceeds as
planned. What could be causing smbmount to die? The errors associated with
the smbmount problem are:

[root at Nemesis david]# cat /var/log/messages | grep smb
Sep 27 04:00:00 Nemesis kernel: smb_get_length: recv error = 5
Sep 27 04:00:00 Nemesis kernel: smb_request: result -5, setting invalid
Sep 27 04:00:00 Nemesis kernel: smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3
Sep 27 04:00:00 Nemesis kernel: smb_lookup: find //rankin failed, error=-5

Any thoughts??

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
RANKIN * BERTIN, PLLC