[Samba] Difference in terms of charset between smbmount and smbclient

Jochen Wiedmann jochen.wiedmann at freenet.de
Fri Sep 24 06:52:36 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have a Windows server, that I access using smbclient or smbmount.
After having the typical problem with non-ascii characters fixed in
smbclient, I was expecting to have it solved with smbmount as well.
However, that is not the case.

More precisely: I have a file on my Linux machine with german umlauts in
the name (ISO-8859-1 characters). testparms shows, that my smb.conf
contains the following:

         dos charset = 850
         unix charset = ISO-8859-1

A "put" in smbclient transfers the file as expected, and I can see the
right file name on Windows.

When mounting the smb share, I use the following options:

     workgroup=EUR,username=jwi,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=cp850

However, using "cp" to copy the file exposes the wrong file name on
Windows (cryptic single byte characters, rather than the german umlauts,
to be distinguished from UTF-8 multibyte characters).

Any ideas, what is wrong?

Regards,

Jochen

--