[Samba] Which distribution to rollout

Christian Merrill cmerrill at redhat.com
Thu Sep 23 16:56:02 GMT 2004

Daniel Ramaley wrote:

>I run Samba on OpenBSD. It isn't Linux, but it is free and works very
>well. It also isn't likely to go away or move to a less stable
>development any time soon.
>
>On Thursday 23 September 2004 09:44 am, Chris McKeever wrote:
>

>>we are running an older version of RH (7.3) - and I am getting
>>concerned that I may need to migrate off of it - but I dont know what
>>I should move to.  Trying to formulate ideas before it becomes a 'got
>>to do it now' scenario.
>>
>>I have some reservations about fedora - I just dont know how stable it
>>is for a production server (our services are mainly
>>samba/ldap/ntp/ssh/rsync/clamav) - we have about 15 samba servers in
>>production currently.
>>
>>RHEL - well - the cost is a factor
>>
>>gentoo - takes to long to deploy
>>
>>Mandrake 10?
>>
>>What are some of the samba users recommendations?
>>
>>thanks

I think to some degree it depends on what your implimentation of samba
is like...As in are you doing relatively simple file sharing or are you
making use of all the bells and whistles available (winbind, kerberos
integration, etc.).  If you have a relatively simple configuration and
this is in a production environment then shell out the money for RHEL or
Suse (trying not to be too biased) and enjoy being on a relatively
stable unchanging and *supported* OS.

If your configuration is more complex then you probably want to avoid
those platforms as they try to update very infrequently.  Samba tends to
be in a constant state of change and of course it has to deal with
reacting to whatever Microsoft decides to do...for simple configurations
this doesn't tend to matter, but if you're using some of the more
powerful features of Samba then you probably have to look forward to
having to upgrade on a regular basis.  In that case you should probably
go with whatever is free and comfortable for you to use.

Christian