[Samba] Printers Showing up on Alternate Server Names

M/V Anastasis - IT Manager it.manager at ana.mercyships.org
Thu Sep 23 16:48:59 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I am running samba 3.0.6.  I am having an issue on my print server
regarding how the printer ends up registering itself on the Windows
clients.  We have a machine named "bob", "bob" has an alias both in DNS
and in the netbios name in Samba of "printserver", "bob" has an IP
address of 192.168.1.1.  In a seemingly random fashion sometimes when I
add a printer on a new client machine by specifying the printer with
\\printserver\Reception to specify the "Reception" printer, it shows up
as "Reception on herm" or "Reception on 192.168.1.1" or "Reception on
printserver" (this would be the desired result, which does sometimes
occur).  Does anyone have an idea why this might be occurring?  Is it a
common problem with Samba or do we have something setup wrong somewhere?

Thanks,

Chris
________

Chris Slack
IT Manager
M/V Anastasis - Currently docked in Bremerhaven, DL
Mercy Ships

 <mailto:chris.slack at mercyships.org> chris.slack at mercyships.org
<http://www.mercyships.org/>
www.mercyships.org <http://www.chrisslack.org/>