[Samba] Slow file writes to server

Doug Curtis doug.curtis at world-mail.org
Wed Sep 22 15:47:09 GMT 2004

I am running a Fedora 2 machine with Samba 3.0.7.  I am using LDAP to
store the user info.  Everything  is from stock rpms.  I am using domain
logins for my users.

Since 3.0.6, whenever someone tries to write a file to the server, it is
extremely slow.  It doesn't matter whether it's a Win XP sp1, sp2 or
Win2000 client but for some reason, my computer didn't have this problem.

What I found out is that I had done the registry "tweak" from
speedguide.net.  Once I applied this registry edit, it worked on other
machines too.

Here is the contents of their registry file:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
"SackOpts"=dword:00000001
"TcpWindowSize"=dword:0003ebc0
"Tcp1323Opts"=dword:00000001
"DefaultTTL"=dword:00000040
"EnablePMTUBHDetect"=dword:00000000
"EnablePMTUDiscovery"=dword:00000001
"GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize"=dword:0003ebc0

I am not sure which line of this fixed the problem but I am sure that
someone would could tell from looking at it.  I am wondering what would
have changed between 3.0.5 and 3.06 to have done this?

Also, I am running an almost exact replica of the problematic server on
another machine and I it works fine without any modifications to the
client's registry.

Thanks,

Doug