[Samba] Corrupted userid in mail folders - Crisis

Christoph Scheeder christoph.scheeder at scheeder.de
Wed Sep 22 07:40:22 GMT 2004

Hi again,

Roland Giesler schrieb:
>>Hi,
>>another thing popes to my mind,
>>check if a nscd process is running on your box.
>>if yes stop it and remove it from the startup-scripts.
>>It is not compatible with with samba and windbindd and
>>may create strange effects.
>>Christoph
>

> Yes, nscd was running, but I have stopped it now.  What is nscd?
>
> Also, further to our discussion before, the userid actually get's changed
> Look at this:

you didn't check what i wanted you to check... ;-)

> [root at inet root]# ls -l /home/RHENGHS/canhal
> total 12
> drwx------  7 monsla Domain Users 4096 Aug 17 13:48 Maildir/
> drwx------  2 monsla Domain Users 4096 Feb 23  2002 tmp/
> drwxr-xr-x  2 monsla Domain Users 4096 Jun 20  2002 webpage/
> [root at inet root]# ls -ln /home/RHENGHS/canhal
> total 12
> drwx------  7 10585 10000 4096 Aug 17 13:48 Maildir/
> drwx------  2 10585 10000 4096 Feb 23  2002 tmp/
> drwxr-xr-x  2 10585 10000 4096 Jun 20  2002 webpage/
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^
what i want you to verify is if these numbers are changing.
i bet they are constant and the only changing numbers are the
numbers reported from getent.

> [root at inet root]# getent passwd canhal
> canhal:x:10167:10000::/home/RHENGHS/canhal:/bin/bash
>
> So you can see that the correct user should be 10167, not 10585

No, i bet the number reported from getent is changing.

> Also SMB hangs after a few hours.  When I left last night, everything had
> been running fine for about 2 hours.  When I got to work this morning,
> no-one was authenticated.  When I tried to ls a user dir, I got not
> response. On issuing the reboot command I saw on the console that there was
> no process SMB.  Here are the SMB messages in syslog.

How was your samba installed? Was it compiled from source or are the
package(s) from your distribution installed?

Christoph