[Samba] Folder Permissions

Chris McKeever techjedi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 21:12:26 GMT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:09:29 -0600, Travis Bullock <tbullock at avmax.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Samba up and running as well as winbind.  I have ran some tests to
> confirm that yes indeed winbind is able to query the Windows NT 4.0 PDC for
> user/group/password information.
>
> However I am having difficulty understanding how to set shares up in samba
> so that I can apply permissions to them using my Windows user information
> rather than creating each user on samba with the same password as windows
> etc etc.  I thought winbind was supposed to eliminate this requirement and
> because the winbind daemon is able to successfully query the PDC I am
> surprised that it has not.
>
> When I try and access the share from a Windows client I get an "Access
> Denied" error.
>
> I have read through the Official HOW-TO but am still stumped on how to
> properly apply permissions to a samba share.

first you need to set the LINUX permissions - I typically either make
it readable by everyone (and then control access by smb.conf) or I set
it to the correct user a/o group

then you can control who can get into the shares VIA smb.conf

what are your linux permissions on the folder?

NOTE: I am using 2.2.8a - so your mileage may vary