[Samba] New Server, New Samba

Chuck Chauvin clchauvin at edcaugusta.com
Mon Sep 20 19:21:15 GMT 2004

So here is my question, again, just a little more refined. I think I may
have figured this out but I wanted to pas it by the experts before I
potentially make more trouble for myself than what I'm starting with.

Here's the scenario:

A couple of years ago I setup a Linux machine using Mandrake and Samba 2.2.4
as a Primary Domain Controller.

It has been giving me lots of problems lately. Mostly because it was the
first time I had set anything like that up and I was learning as I went.

So I have decided that it would be in my best interest to setup another
server using a distribution that I am more familiar with that happens to be
a little more up-to-date. Namely SuSE 9.1 Pro.

So what I am trying to accomplish is simple, in theory, but I'm not sure if
I am on the right track.

I want to take all of the user and machine accounts from my existing server
and move them to the new server.

This is the best I can figure to do:

After I get the new server setup I edit the following files

/etc/passwd
/etc/shadow
/etc/samba/smbpasswd
/etc/samba/smbusers

copying the relevant information from the existing server and pasting it in
place (i.e. user and machine accounts).

Take my existing smb.conf file and use it since, according to the note at
chapter 3.2.1 of 'Samba 3 by Example'

"The smb.conf file you are creating in this exercise can be used with equal
effectiveness with Samba-2.2.x series releases."

I am going to assume that the reverse is also true. I should be able to take
my smb.conf from my 2.2.4 installation and use it in Samba 3. Please correct
me if I am wrong here.

So, once I do this, I should be able to have my existing Windows XP clients
able to login to the new server with their same passwords and everything
should be just like normal... right?

--
Chuck Chauvin
Network Administrator
clchauvin at edcaugusta.com

Confidentiality Notice: This message is intended exclusively for the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the named
addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or
disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and
delete all copies of the message.