[Samba] Re: Hot to configure Samba 3 as PDC and BDC for a Windows network

ksun at ABINITIO.COM ksun at ABINITIO.COM
Fri Sep 17 19:23:52 GMT 2004

Hello John,

        I also like your books "Samba-3 by Example: and :The Official
Samba-3 Howto and Reference Guide".

        Between these books, I managed to test the procedure of migrating
our existing NT4 PDC to Samba PDC.

        The migration is successful for the most parts. I am able to
verify that the users/group SIDs/Passwords are correct.

        However, Windows 2000/XP computers failed to find the samba Domain
Controller. They can rejoin the domain without any problem.

        I verified that the SIDs in 2000/XP is the same as the
corresponding one in LDAP backend and there is a SambaNTPassword entry but
I don't have a way to check if they are migrated correctly.

        I have no clue how Window 2000/XP determines if an expected domain
is available and what are the conversations between the workstation,
samba, and ldap. I monitored the tcpdump during the time a Windows XP
started loging in as a domain user and the time it failed not being able
to find a domain, most of the traffic is to the LDAP server. What was it
looking for?

        I believe eventually I would see a sesson in your books on What
Went Wrong With Mirgration (WWWM). Can I have a preview of that Session
now???

        Thank you very much!

-- Kang Sun
ksun at abinitio.com