[Samba] Change in smbpasswd in 3.0.6

Christian Merrill cmerrill at redhat.com
Fri Sep 17 17:18:16 GMT 2004

Hi, we recently had a customer reporting that a script they run that
includes an smbpasswd statement was no longer functioning after
upgrading.  The smbpasswd command was being used to create an account
and set a password -- taking the passwd as the second argument.  It
looks like there has been a change in the code (possibly security
related) and I was just curious what the offical reason is for it.

Line 177 samba-3.0.4/source/utils/smbpasswd.c
switch(argc)
has three case statements '0', '1', and '2'
in the case of '2', it takes the 2nd parameter and uses it as a password

Line 166 samba-3.0.6/source/utils/smbpasswd.c
switch(argc)
has two case statements '0' and '1'
for the value number of parameters that can be passed to the program

Thank you,
Christian