[Samba] MAX PRINT JOBS bugg

rick talbot rick.talbot at canammanac.com
Thu Sep 16 17:38:03 GMT 2004

I was able to bypass the max print jobs = 50 parameter by putting the
lines 2057 to 2061 in comments of the source/printing.c file. In this
manner there's no comparison made on the number of job in the print queue
and this parameter.

However by now the server stops queueing jobs after the 500th. It does
accept them without an error but does not print them.

rick talbot <rick.talbot at canammanac.com>
Envoyé par : samba-bounces+rick.talbot=canammanac.com at lists.samba.org
2004-09-16 07:56

cc

Objet
[Samba] MAX PRINT JOBS  bugg

My smb.conf file contains in the general section.

max print jobs = 50

And i disabled the print queue using this command :

disable PrintQueueName

Therefore i would expect SAMBA to reject print jobs after the 50th.
But in real life it does not, it continues to spool indefinitely.

If i run a batch file from a client workstation to print continuously. It
means the request to print is made much faster than manually. It will stop

when 7 jobs are spooled in the print queue ??!?!?!?

Running smbd -i -F -S - - debuglevel=3 returns the following error message

on the linux console when 7 jobs are spooled in the print queue:

print_job_start: Queue p13113 number of jobs (51) larger than max
printjobs per queue (50)
error string = no space left on device
error packet at smbd/reply.c(3041) cmd=192 (SMBsplopen)
NT_STATUS_DISK_FULL

but there's only 7 jobs in the queue.

Release 3.0.7 does not fix this

It seems to be an issue in the way Samba calculate the number of jobs that

are in the print queue ?

The reason why i am testing this is because one of my customer prints A
LOT ( over 2 thousands jobs per day ) and his users gets exactly this
problem when lots of people are trying to print at the same time. Default
value of max print jobs is 1000 setting this to 0 ( to permit number less
of print jobs ) does not fix the issue.

HELP !