[Samba] Disabling NETBIOS over TCP/IP

Tihomir Karlovic tihomir.karlovic at brandi-igh.de
Thu Sep 16 17:26:25 GMT 2004

Hi,

i'm trying to configure XP clients to communicate with Samba3 PDC without
NETBIOS. I've disabled NETBIOS over TCP/IP on XP clients and on Samba3
server. I also created neccessary DNS records as described in
Samba-HOWTO-Collection but yet without success.

I've created DNS SRV entry _ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.domainame.com as described
in Samba-HOWTO but this is what happends:

1.  XP client sends DNS query for entry _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domainame.com
and
    not for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domainame.com (note the difference .dc
instead
    of .pdc) and fails because of missing DNS entry

2.  I added SRV entry for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domainame.com, now XP finds
the
    Samba domain controller but tries to contact LDAP server on it using UDP

    protocol and fails again.

Obviously, XP expects domain controller name returned by SRV .dc entry to
belong to AD Domain controller and not NT4 style one and it never even tries
to query for .pdc record.

Did anybody get this to work?